Friday, December 2, 2011

In Students We Trust Part 1


I learned a valuable lesson this term that I’ve just started to chew on.

I taught a new class titled Teaching English Language Learners, and I designed it to be student led. The students selected the reading assignments, led small and large discussion groups, taught effective teaching strategies, and evaluated themselves and each other.

This was my first attempt to put the learning needs of my students into their own hands, and I think it was a huge success. I checked in with the students regularly to make sure their learning needs were being met, and I ensured them that we could take the course in a different direction if they needed.

Here was my thinking.

First of all, these students are learning to be teachers, but they get very little opportunity to practice teaching. The students in this class have chosen to obtain a degree in Elementary Education without a teaching license, so they do not experience student teaching. They are enrolled in a practicum in the public schools each term, but the hourly commitment and involvement in the planning and implementing of instruction is minimal.

I had a hunch that my students, all seniors, may enjoy an opportunity to practice teaching in a supported environment, and I’m glad that I followed my hunch.

So why haven’t I considered designing a self-directed course before? Why aren’t more teachers handing the reigns over to the students? I started reflecting on these questions, and my mind has honed in on two complicated abstract nouns: fear and trust.


I was fearful that the course would tank and the students would think I was lazy for not taking control of their learning; after all, I’m supposed to be the expert and they paid good money to learn from my expertise.

While I was in the middle of drafting the syllabus, I asked a colleague who used this approach last school year for advice and guidance. She said that the students liked it, but they wanted her to teach more because they didn’t feel competent enough to be in control.

So I made sure to design assignments that were within the zone of proximal development of the students, and to hold them to a very high standard. They have a practical, interesting textbook as a resource and I strongly encouraged the use of the library, offering the contact information of the education librarian on campus. I know that students are willing to take risks when they know they have a valued voice in the community and they are given opportunities to share their ideas, concerns, and questions in a safe environment.

So, we discussed issues as a community of learners and made decision about the class as a team. The students were able to see me model community building and utilizing the talents of each students as we were learning about these topics in class.

To alleviate my fear and worry, I asked for continual feedback in class discussions and anonymously written comments at the end of each class (see my “The Courageous Seek Student Feedback” blog from Nov. 17, 2010). Throughout the term, the feedback regarding this approach was overwhelmingly positive.

I was willing to take a risk despite my fear and it paid off!

But the lesson I really learned it about trust.

I find that many teachers are perfectionists and/or have a hard time letting go of control.  We can be control freaks.And trust is all about letting go and having in faith that it'll all work out.

In Part 2, I’ll talk about trust. For the time being, I’m going to spend more time reflecting about this topic. Just another opportunity to practice what I teach!

By the way, it’s cold and frosty here in Southern Oregon. I’m reading winter stories about holidays and traditions around the world. It’s a splendid time to be indoors, getting to know friends and family, both real and fictional, more intimately. I’m also reading Charles Dicken’s A Christmas Carol for the first time. I’m inspired to celebrate my holiday like the awakened Scrooge:

"I don't know what to do!" cried Scrooge, laughing and crying in the same breath; and making a perfect Laocoön of himself with his stockings. "I am as light as a feather, I am as happy as an angel, I am as merry as a school-boy. I am as giddy as a drunken man. A merry Christmas to every-body! A happy New Year to all the world! Hallo here! Whoop! Hallo!"

No comments:

Post a Comment